Friday, January 21, 2011

The Birth of Lily and Logan

As I said in my last post, on Tuesday I went in to the doctors for another cervical check. At that point I was dilated to a four, so I had made a little progress over the weekend. The doc said at that point that I wasn't going home and I had to go to the hospital to get monitored. If I was contracting then we would be having the babies that day and if I was not contracting then I would have to have an amnio to check for lung maturity and we would have the babies later that day or early the next. Before I went over to the hospital, I called around to find someone to go pick my kids up from school (thanks mom!) From the moment I woke up that morning until then I hadn't had one contraction. So I head over to the hospital and they get me all hooked up to the monitors and low and behold I start contracting...and won't stop. The last that she checked me I had progressed to a five. Doc said at this point that we were going back for a c-section. The c-section got bumped back to 2pm due to another lady needing a more urgent surgery. If that hadn't happened then D wouldn't have made it when he did.

This all happened so quickly that no one was even there with me. I texted my surro-friend Lisa because I knew she had twins right around the same time. She offered to come down and she was the one who was in the OR with me. She helped out more than she even knows!

While all of this was happening, D was still in Aspen, and wasn't scheduled to get back to Denver until about 3pm. Fortunately, he was able to get an earlier flight and thus he only missed the birth by a few min. W was still in New York and despite an ice storm and many cancelled flights, he made it to the hospital by about 8:30 that night.

We went back to the OR and I had a spinal. My BP dropped and I got kind of panicky, but then I was given something and felt kind of drugged. The c-section went very smoothly and at 2:37 Logan was born weighing 5lbs 4oz. Lily was born one minute later at 2:38 weighing 4lbs 12oz. Lisa took all pics so the guys would have something to see from the birth. I went into recovery and then D arrived to be with his babies!

Things have gone well from there on out. Recovery has been a bit difficult, but is going smoothly.The worst part (besides the pain) of having the c-section, was the horrible itching afterwards from the morphine in the spinal. I must have itched for nearly 48 hours. I wasn't able to hold the babies until Thursday, but it was great to be able to. The babies went into the NICU and are now in the graduate NICU. We are not sure when they will be released to go home, but they are healthy and that's what matters the most! Daddies are thrilled and loving every minute. They gave me a pair of beautiful diamond earrings...D said one for each baby!
My milk has started coming in today, I have used an ace bandage to wrap myself so I am a bit uncomfortable, but nothing I can't handle. I've been on pain meds since the beginning so I am doing okay. I will be released tomorrow and I am looking forward to going home - back to the real world again.


momof4 said...

Congrats! And you are amazing:) Take care of yourself, you deserve every minute of it!

MrsKnight said...

I forgot about the itching! It was my NOSE, mostly. Itchy, itchy, itchy!

Congrats! You know, mine were born at almost exactly the same time of day. 2:35 and 2:36 I think it was.

Have you considered pumping milk for donation? You'll surely find some needy babies on There are lots of moms who struggle to produce jsut a couple of ounces per day.

After the first week you should be able to get in and out of bed without much pain. :-)

Heidi said...

Congrats to you and the proud Papa's! I am so glad to here you are doing so well.

Heidi said...

"hear" not here. ha.

Mommy with Many Gifts said...

Congratulations!! I'm sorry you were all alone, but that is great your friend was there with you. And that itching does suck... did you get any meds to stop it?? Love the names by the way. I hope your recovery goes well!!

Kelly & Her Uterus said...

Job Well Done Vanessa!!! That is so awesome that Lisa was able to be there with you! Glad the babies are doing well.

I know I already said this on Group but take it easy! Even though you start to feel okay, remember you don't know what the inside looks like, so don't rush. You'll be back to normal sooner than you think :)


Andrea said...

Congratulations on the birth!!

That's so great that your friend was able to be there with you during the c-section. What an experience for the both of you!

Hang in there and take it easy as much as you can.

leikay2 said...

CONGRATS to you and your IF's!! So exciting. Sorry I did not get on sooner to wish you well. You did such a great job. If you need anything at all just let me know, I am only 30 min away : ) said...

Woohoo!!!! So proud of you!