Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Baby Grant is born!

So I have to say that baby Grant sure made quite an entrance! It all began on Friday, which was his due date. I went to the Dr. at 3pm (IF’s were with me) and after sitting there for over an hour waiting with anticipation, he finally came in and checked me. He said I was 4cm. I suggested to him that maybe we could induce on Saturday but he wasn’t too thrilled about inducing on Valentine’s Day so he suggested we come back at 7pm and be induced that evening. We all agreed, so I asked if he could just induce me by breaking my water instead of having Pitocin. He wasn’t thrilled because he said if I don’t go into labor that it increases the risk of infection but he decided to check me again and see if I was truly ready. This time apparently I was contracting and he said I was 5cm with a bulging bag – so he agreed. He stripped my membranes for the second time and I was off to get ready. Around 5:30 while I was at home, I started to have some contractions – nothing serious but I knew it was beginning.

We got to the hospital at 7pm and got all set up and the doc came in and broke my water at 7:58pm. He said he was going to leave but he wouldn’t be far at all and he was off. Well of course, things just went crazy from there. I knew I wanted to try not to have an epidural but wanted Fentanyl. At 8:10 I was 7cm and told them to give me the Fentanyl. My contractions were literally on top of each other at which point I was thinking I couldn’t do it. And then lo and behold there was intense pressure, I was fully dilated and told not to push (yeah right) and before they could do anything I was crowning and then he was out. I may have pushed twice. So he was born at 8:24pm. He was delivered by the on-call midwife. My Dr. got there in time to stitch me up. My IF was so much in shock that my husband had to tell him to get up and come see his son (other IF had left thinking he would be back in time – fortunately he didn’t want to be in the room anyway).

Anyway after his fast and furious entrance he looked great, his lungs were great, and he weighed 7 lbs. He is such a cutie! I think I was in a little shock too but was so thankful that the pain was over. I am so glad I didn’t ask for an epidural or it wouldn’t have taken effect until after he was born which would have really sucked. I was so happy to see how happy the new dads are with their baby. Grant looks so much like his daddy - it was perfect.

My IF’s made it home last night around 7pm. The flight sounds like it went pretty smooth. I know they are so happy to be home and begin their new lives as fathers. I am pumping for Grant now - I'm still not getting much but I am not going to get discouraged yet. I don't feel any sadness that I don't have a baby (I'm actually quite thankful). The only thing that makes me sad is to know that the journey is over. I think back on all of the memories I have throughout this whole journey and I can't believe that everything seems to have gone so fast even though it was over a year. I don't know if I will do another journey or not. My plans at this time are to have one more baby of my own and then only time will tell after that. We'll see if my IF's want a sibling for Grant and if so, will it work with my timing.

I just want to say, looking back, that I am very happy that I had the IF's that I did as we got along great and I can't say that I have any regrets. While going through the reduction was hard and wasn't ideal, I can't imagine what the outcome would have been, had I continued the pregnancy with more than one baby.

I can't wait to get back to myself - my body, my mind, my hormones. But I'm not in any rush - I still feel really good about everything and I hope it stays that way. I'm not going to stop posting yet as we'll see if things change and I'll keep updating on how pumping goes, etc. I will leave you with this for now.

No comments: